Seasonal changes are upon us
Fall is the optimal time to boost your immune system and stimulate detoxification.
Bittersweet as it is to have the warmth of summer coming to a close, with the yang, active energy of summer now moving into the cooling yin of fall and winter, this season is the best time to fortify and focus your energy into boosting your immune system. There are many ways to prepare yourself and prevent colds, flu, viral infections, and seasonal allergies.
Maintain Great Digestion
- First, maintaining a good digestion system is key!
- Eat a high-fiber diet or green leafy vegetables, seasonal fruits and sprouted grains that aid in good digestion as well as elimination.
- Eat live fermented foods like raw organic sauerkraut, kimchee, kefir, or one tablespoon or organic apple cider vinegar before meals to maintain your beneficial flora.
- Supplement with digestive plant enzymes like raw "Garden of Life" enzymes that can be taken with each meal to promote better digestion and assimilation of nutrients.
- Take one probiotics, like "Dr. Ophira's Professional Formula or " Dr. Ophira's Essential Formula." These are superior products that aid in building beneficial flora in the gut.
Quercetin, a bioflavonoid has been shown to stabilize the mast cells, slowing down the body's release of histamines and other chemicals related to allergic symptoms.
With the cooling of the winter it is also advisable to begin shifting into more warming foods. Id suggest:
- Warm soups and stews with leeks, kale, carrots, ginger, and garlic
- Baked organic fruits such as apples, berries, and pears
- Warming spices like fresh finer, turmeric, cayenne pepper, and cinnamon that help warm the body
Teas are another great way to help moisten dryness and build the immune system. Try:
- Organic green tea which provides anti-allergic reactions to the environment
- Chrysanthemum tea made from dried flowers can also help reduce allergic symptoms
Preventive Care Acupuncture Treatments
A series of acupuncture treatments along with immune- boosting herbal formulas can work wonders as a preventive- care approach to protecting and enhancing the body's own immune defense system during the seasonal shift. In Chinese medicine, we focus on protecting the lungs while helping the large intestine and skin rid the body of toxins and pathogens during this time of year. October and November are the optimal months for seasonal immune- enhancing treatments. I look forward helping al my patients stay healthy throughout the fall and winter season.